Monday, April 10, 2017

My Story, My Dreams

In addition to being an advocate for The Arc San Francisco, Gladys is an ambassador for Best Buddies, a social and recreation nonprofit for individuals with developmental disabilities. Best Buddies’ creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, and leadership development through friendship, coaching, and mentoring programs.

At a recent Best Buddies event, Gladys was able to share her story with peers and an audience of Best Buddies friends and family. Below is a transcript of the speech she gave. Congratulations on your successful ambassadorship, Gladys!
Hi, thank you for coming.

My name is Gladys Rodriguez. I was born and raised in San Francisco. I’ve been a best buddies ambassador for quite a while. I’m 32 years old. This speech is about my life.

I was born with spina bifida. A nurse told me and my mom when I was 8 years old that I wouldn’t make it to 15. But look at me now, I’m 32 and still fighting for my life.

My senior year of high school, I was failing art class. When I tried to make the required flowerpot, it came out looking like a lopsided water pitcher. As funny as that was, I knew I had to take night classes to graduate from high school. So, that is what I did and I was able to walk across the stage to get my diploma.

My life goals after high school are to get my dream job, get married, and learn how to drive. My dream job is to become an administrative assistant.

I’ve learned I can do anything I set my mind to. I want to learn how to type without making mistakes. I want to get my dream job as an administrative assistant. I hope you will take to heart my story and learn to never give up on your life or your dreams.

No comments: